A baby died after sleeping between his parents who awoke to find him ‘blue’, an inquest heard.
Ifan George Torlop’s mum Alana Bailey started screaming when she saw her son had slipped down the bed between herself and her partner on August 2, 2020.
An inquest has heard how the mum panicked after noticing her 13-month-old child was covered by the duvet and ‘didn’t seem right’, WalesOnline reports.
Miss Bailey’s partner Samuel Torlop tired to perform CPR on their son after while waiting for paramedics to arrive at their home in Heol Maes y Cerrig, in Loughor, Wales.
An inquest into the tot’s death held at Swansea Guildhall heard how Mr Torlop was woken by his partner.
Their child had been sleeping in between them in their double bed.
An ambulance was called and Mr Torlop had already begun CPR when neighbours, one of whom was a nurse, who had heard Miss Bailey “screaming ‘help me, help me’” headed inside to try and help the infant.
The Mirror’s newsletter brings you the latest news, exciting showbiz and TV stories, sport updates and essential political information.
The newsletter is emailed out first thing every morning, at 12noon and every evening.
Never miss a moment by signing up to our newsletter here.
One neighbour entered the bedroom and described seeing “a little boy motionless in the bed”.
Paramedics arrived at the property in Heol Maes y Cerrig, in Loughor, but were unable to resuscitate Ifan.
The inquest heard that it was a regular occurrence for Ifan to sleep in the bed with his parents as he wouldn’t settle in his crib since returning home from Morriston Hospital where he spent two days in November 2019 with bronchiolitis – a lower respiratory tract infection that affects babies and young children.
The evening before he died his parents had visited Mr Torlop’s father’s home and returned to Miss Bailey’s mother’s house, where she also lived and where the couple spent most of their time.
They had dinner and watched TV as Miss Bailey had “two small glasses of wine” and Mr Torlop had “two bottles of beer”.
At around 10pm they heard Ifan stir on the baby monitor and Mr Torlop went upstairs to feed him and returned to watch TV before the couple went to bed at around 11.15pm.
South Wales Police detective constable Ian Wozencroft told the inquest that officers arrived at the property in Loughor and were informed by paramedics that Ifan had died.
He said: “After a call from the ambulance service police officers were deployed to the scene where a crime scene was identified and assessed. They recovered a number of exhibits and officers activated their body-worn cameras. Voluntary urine samples were supplied and two baby bottles.”
A toxicology report found alcohol levels of 81mg per 100ml in Mr Torlop’s urine and 164mg per 100ml in Miss Bailey’s. The legal drink-drive limit currently stands at 107mg per 100ml.
Reading a statement on behalf of South Wales Police detective inspector Peter Collins, Mr Wozencroft added: “The child displayed no injuries that caused any concern.
“Co-sleeping is known to be unsafe and we know health visitors had warned the parents about these dangers. There was no doubt that the child was cared for, clean, and brought up in a loving environment.”
Pathologist Dr Deryk James told the inquest that there “are risks with bed sharing” but there was “no evidence” that Ifan had been laid on while sharing the bed with his parents.
Dr James said: “He was found in the middle of the bed but under the duvet. We know sudden infant deaths are more likely to happen when a baby is too warm or in a position that’s not ideal. If you are intoxicated you are less aware of the baby’s position.”
Recording an open conclusion, assistant coroner for Swansea and Neath Port Talbot Aled Wyn Gruffydd said that while there was no evidence that overlaying or an increased body temperature contributed to Ifan’s death he “can’t exclude it or say that it happened”.
He said: “Ifan was a fit and well boy. He was well cared for, appropriately nourished, and clean. His cause of death was unascertained and there was no evidence of overlaying. The consumption of alcohol is a risk when co-sleeping as you are less aware of your baby sleeping.
“This is a tragic case and the parents’ worst nightmare. My deepest condolences go to them.”